Welcome to Founders College Peer Mentorship Program
Founders College Peer Mentorship Program seeks to connect high-achieving, upper-year students with other Founders College students, primarily, though not exclusively, incoming first-year students in both the Fall and Winter semesters. Mentors are paired with Founders affiliated students in order to facilitate accurate and program specific advice and assistance throughout the year. Many students require support when beginning their academic career, and the peer mentor network helps provide that through reliable and knowledgeable upper year mentors.
The Peer Mentorship Program ultimately aims to enhance the student learning experience, foster engagement in Founders intellectual and social community, and support a successful transition into university for entry-level students.
Our Mentors provide students with necessary information, personal support and connections, and opportunities to attend social events. The wisdom offered by successful upper-year students is invaluable towards helping other students, but especially new students, create effective and positive academic skillsets that are necessary to achieve their personal goals and succeed in their individual degrees.
Students interested in becoming a peer mentor are asked to apply by completing our application form.
Founders Peer Mentorship Program is comprised of four integrated components:
Drop-In Office Hours
Central P.A.R.C. (102 Founders) is not only the home of the College's Peer Mentorship Program, it is also the place where our Peer Mentors hold their office hours. From Monday to Friday, beginning in September to running until April, our Peer Mentors will be available to assist students during their office hours. No appointments are required; simply drop by to see a Peer Mentor for help.
Mentor to Mentee Partnership
Students seeking more in depth support can request to be partnered with a Peer Mentor for ongoing support throughout the Academic Term. Peer Mentors can meet with students on campus to provide assistance catered to a students needs.
Students wishing to be partnered with a Peer Mentor are asked to complete our Peer Mentorship Enrollment Form.
Online Message Board
We understand that oftentimes, students' commitments outside the classroom, can leave them with very little free time to meet with a Mentor. We are pleased to announce, therefore, that we have also created a Founders College Peer Mentors Facebook Group.
Have a question or need some advice? Simply post your question to the group and one of our Peer Mentors will reply within 24 hours.
If you don't have Facebook or if your question is confidential in nature, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Rest assured that only the Master's Office staff and our Peer Mentorship Program Coordinator will see your question and will be able to direct you.
Academic Workshops & Study Groups
Throughout the year, the Master's Office and our Peer Mentors will organize a number of academic workshops, information sessions and study sessions to help students at every phase of their post-secondary studies.
Some events and workshops planned for 2017/2018 include:
- Applying to the Faculty of Education
- Applying to Graduate Studies
- Study Abroad Information Session
- Applying to Osgoode Hall Law School
- Should I Pursue an MBA?
- Interview Skills (In partnership with the Career Centre)
- Business Dinner Etiquette (In partnership with the Alumni Office)
- Meet Your Major: Inviting Founders Alumni to talk to current students about what they have done with their degree (In partnership with the Founders Alumni Network and the Alumni Office)
- Drop-In Study Sessions to be led by Peer Mentors and /or affiliated student organizations (i.e. Social Work Student Association to lead Social Work Study Sessions)
- Exam and Test Preparation led by Peer Mentors
- How to Find a Summer Job (In partnership with the Career Centre)
- Managing Stress & Anxiety (With Counselling & Disability Services)
- Monthly Mentor & Mentee Coffee House
All events will be announced via email, the Founders College Facebook Page and posters.